Monday, July 17, 2006

The Flying Foxes in Cairns

During my wonderful stay in Cairns, I experienced the sounds and sites of the flying foxes (otherwise known as fruit bats!) These lovely creatures like to fly around at dusk and eat insects and mangos. There were about 60 of them flying in and out of a mango tree catching insects over my head as I walked into town. It looked like something out of a Dracula movie! I was mesmerized by these large, graceful creatures and spent hours watching them. On our final evening in Cairns we went to Ricardo's Sidewalk Cafe and ate pizza and gelato on the Esplanade by the Coral Sea. Cairns is an electric wonderland city of shops, eateries, and cane toad races! On to Sydney in the morning.

1 comment:

Iris said...

I too was facinated by the flying foxes in Cairns. I dragged my poor husband out late in the afternoon so that I could watch their activities just before they took flight at dusk. I saw them eating the flowers of the national tree in Cairns. I used to find a deck chair to lie on and look up at the sky and watch them fly. Thy are so graceful. I was in Cairns March 2009. It was hot and humid but a interesting place.